If you’re looking for your dream wedding photographer and are based in or around the Yorkshire area, today’s UNVEILED Network Member interview is one you won’t want to miss! Introducing the talents of Hannah Brooke Photography…
The lovely Hannah herself can put even the most camera shy of brides and grooms at ease and ensure that you’re left with a collection of stunning, atmospheric and personal images from your big day. What more could you want from a wedding photographer?
Ever the pro, even if there are minor disasters unfolding on your day, Hannah will remain your rock, calm and serene, to ensure that you can relax and have fun. She’ll also get to know you ahead of the big day, will probably befriend your gran and never tires of seeing couples tie the knot. Hannah tells us what her favourite part of a wedding is, how she fell into wedding photography after an epiphany and why it’s so important to get to know your photographer, and for them to get to know you, before the wedding!
She’s even offering you lucky lot a cool £100 off some of her packages if you quote “Brides Up North” when booking!
Over to you, Hannah!
Briefly introduce yourself and your business?
Hi, I’m Hannah of Hannah Brooke Photography and I love taking joyful and expressive photographs of warm-hearted people! I live in Wetherby, West Yorkshire with my hubby, two kids and our black lab, and I’m a glass half-full kind of a gal!
Where did your passion for photography come from – and how did it turn into a career?
I’ve taken photos my whole life, as I’ve always loved documenting everything and creating memories. After I had my children I went back to work in the corporate world and realized I wanted to work for myself. I was wracking my brains to think of things I was good at, and around the same time I posted a pic of my kids to facebook. Loads of people commented saying I should do it for a living and that was my lightbulb moment. I bought a decent camera and practiced LOADS before taking my first paid booking. Six months later, a friend of a friend asked me to photograph her wedding and that was the next lightbulb moment – I realized I could build it into a full time career!
What do you love about capturing a couple’s big day?
I love that I get to experience the magic of a wedding over and over again. A wedding is such a joyful day, full of happiness, and positivity. I document the anticipation and nerves pre-wedding. Then I listen to every word of the vows whilst snapping away and it reminds me of why I married my own husband. Soppy, but true! And then it’s party time and a great opportunity for me to capture candid moments!
How would you describe your style of photography?
I’d say I’m mainly documentary style with a bit of a classic, timeless element to my work. Joyfulness, expression and emotion are my thing – I’m always searching for the heads thrown back in laughter, the tears of joy and the crazy dancing, but I will take some timeless and beautiful portraits in between!
What’s your approach like on the wedding day?
Relaxed, unfussy and fun. I’ll have put in the groundwork with you and your venue before the big day so we know exactly what to expect and when. I basically, just hang out with you and experience the day alongside you, I’ll put everyone at ease and chat to your gran.
How do you build relationships with your couples?
I meet my couples before they book me – in person if possible, or on zoom. All of my wedding packages come with a complimentary pre-wedding shoot so we can spend a bit of time together ahead of the big day. I’m quite a chatty person and I love finding out about your stories; how you met, the proposal etc. More often than not, I’m connected with my couples on social media, and I’m a total open book on there, so there are never any surprises!
What sets you apart from other photographers?
My ability to put even the most camera shy of people at ease. I’ll stay calm and look like I’m in control, even if the wedding day plans have gone a little haywire. I’m the only one of me, with my unique personality and photographic style. What you see is what you get with me.
Do you have a favourite part of the day to capture?
I love it all for different reasons, but I think it would have to be the ceremony. The anticipation, nerves, proud family, the laughter, the relief and the look on the groom’s face when he sees his bride for the first time. There’s not many people who get to experience it from the angle I do and it’s a real privilege.
Where does your work take you?
Mainly to different venues in Yorkshire, though I have travelled as far as the Lake District and North Wales and, now the kids are getting a bit older, I’m prepared to go a little further afield.
What would be your top three tips for couples searching for a wedding photographer?
- Pick someone you both like, trust and feel 100% relaxed with. You’re not going to get your best photographs if you feel even slightly uncomfortable or awkward with your photographer
- Think about the style of photos you love – do you want fine art or documentary, do you love light and bright photographs or prefer something a bit darker? Every photographer has their own style.
- Ask to see examples of full weddings they have covered so you can be confident in how they’ll cover the day from start to finish.
And three absolute no-nos?
- Don’t pick a photographer and then ask them to change their style because you’ve seen something on Instagram that you like!
- Don’t book someone based purely on price. There are such a range of photographers out there and there’s ALWAYS someone offering to do it on the cheap. You get what you pay for and it’s not just the one day you’re paying for, it’s the preparation, the planning and then editing their work carefully and beautifully afterwards.
- Don’t book a photographer and then not meet them or speak to them before the big day.
What options do you offer when couples are booking you?
- Long day (£1450) is from getting ready to covering any kind of evening entertainment beyond the first dance.
- Full day (£1250) offers ten hours coverage, from bridal prep through to just after the first dance. This is my most popular package.
- Half day (£750) is coverage from the ceremony to the speeches, or any other four hour period as defined by you.
All of the above include high resolution digital images in a downloadable online gallery. Albums are available from £350.
I’d like to offer your readers £100 off either of the long day or full day packages! They can redeem this by quoting “Brides Up North” when they enquire.
Is there anything else that you would like to tell us about?
I’d just like to say that I love every single wedding I cover. I put my heart and soul into my work. I really do feel like I’ve got the best job in the world!