You know we’re crazy about stationery and today’s featured UNVEILED Network Member is as passionate about it as we are – maybe even more so! Amanda of Love Invited is answering all our Qs to give you a better idea of how these things work. Ready? Let’s dive in…
As more intimate micro weddings look to remain a staple way to celebrate for 2021 too, a trend for the finer detail is emerging, suggesting that quality is currently winning over quantity. Amanda is giving us her thoughts on this and so much more today, from trend forecasting to taking inspiration from social media, and why she wants her designs to be “anything but humdrum”.
As a professional graphic designer, Amanda’s been revealing all of the industry secrets and dos and don’ts that she thinks that it’s important you know before you find your stationery style. We’re talking about the importance of triple-checking the proof before it goes to print, why design is key and limiting your included information is important for not crowding the card, and how counting the households rather than the guests is useful for keeping costs down!
Amanda is also offering you lucky readers a 10% discount off your first order. Details of that and so much more to come!
Hi, I’m Amanda, founder of Love Invited. I love to create wedding stationery that is brimming with joy, personality and individuality and I’ll take the time to get to know you and your personal style, in order to create stationery that is truly unique to your wedding.
Where did your passion for design come from?
My passion for design started when I was in secondary school and continued through to university where I studied Graphic Design. At university I loved branding and typography and shortly after graduating I got married, which I created my own wedding stationery for. I loved the creative process and it seems so fitting that I now get to do it everyday.
Do you have a dedicated workspace?
I recently moved from my office, just north of Manchester, into a home studio at the bottom of our garden. It’s a wonderful space that I share with my husband, two boys and the cats!
Why do you think stationery plays such an important part in a wedding?
Stationery is the first thing that guests receive, setting the tone for your wedding day. Ultimately it provides guests with information about the wedding but I think it is so much more than that. It allows the couple to be original, express themselves and set the scene for their upcoming wedding. I love it when I’m asked to create unique on-the-day items like seed packet favours or or personalised signage.
Do you have a signature style?
There is a lot of stationery out there and quite a lot can be uninspiring. I want my designs to be the antidote to this. To be anything but humdrum. So I feel that my style is contemporary and creative. I like to ensure I use clean, modern typography on all of my designs, however, I’m not afraid of using colour and pattern to complement the theme.
Tell us about your latest collections?
Confetti is my latest and definitely the most popular collection at the moment. This design features tumbling confetti in gorgeous foil print. This winter inspired collection is definitely for couples that prefer wintry skies, and snow-covered churches as their dream wedding day backdrop. Capturing the magic of the season and the romance of a winter wedding, the Confetti wedding stationery collection has a traditional, yet elegant feel.
Do you offer a bespoke service?
My bespoke service is a big part of what I do at Love Invited. If couples have something specific in mind for their stationery, I love to hear all about it. The process usually starts with a chat about what they are looking for. If they have images of design styles they like, that is always useful as it helps get an idea of their tastes. Once I’ve taken the details down I get to work with drafting up some initial designs, along with suggested colour palettes and fonts. From there I develop the design, alongside the couple, ensuring it is exactly what they are looking for.
Where do you get the inspiration for your designs?
My inspiration can come from everywhere, it often comes from my clients, they all have such great ideas, which allows me to explore options and continue to create new and exciting stationery collections.
What products can you provide to a couple?
As well as a wide range of save the dates and invitations I also offer a full range of on-the-day stationery including order of services, informal order of the day signs, welcome boards, table names, place cards, gorgeous table plans and venue menus and signage. My favourite item is our illustrated order of the day boards. These are tailored to your day and feature lovely hand drawn illustrations.
What do your couples love about your service and creations?
The feedback I get back from my customers is so lovely! They often compliment me on my original designs and our very personal one-to-one service. I love getting to know our couples so we can fully understand what they would like to achieve with their wedding stationery. Every couple is different and we want to accommodate that.
What are your top 3 tips for couples when choosing their wedding stationery?
- Count your households – You don’t need an invitation for every guest. Instead look at your guest list and work out how many households need invitations before you give your stationer a number. You might be able to cut your order in half.
- Triple-check the proof – Before your invitation order is printed, we will send you a digital proof on email. Don’t just have your partner and mum read, ask a friend or family member to check the proof before you give your approval. You’d be surprised at the things you may miss! Pay special attention to details like date and time and spelling. A great tip is to read the proof outloud, word for word, from right to left so you don’t accidentally gloss over any mistakes.
- Consider Costs – The price per invite can vary. Lots of factors can affect the cost including the design time, printing process, paper type, hand finishings and quantity. Top-of-the-line papers, printing techniques (like foiling) and custom design will add to your costs. It’s important to research your options ahead of time, so you can pick your priorities, whether it’s sophisticated printing and a custom design, or an already existing design that you can customise.
And your no-nos?
- Don’t under order – It’s always a good idea to order a few spares especially when it comes to your invitations, just in case you have forgotten someone or if you’d like to keep one for yourself.
- Don’t forget the rest of your stationery suite – As well as your invitations you might want to order on-the-day stationery such as order of service, place cards, table numbers and place cards. Ordering them all from us will ensure everything matches and the design stays consistent. Also, don’t forget those little items like favour tags and thank you cards.
- Don’t crowd the card – List only the key points on your invitation; ceremony time and location, the hosts, your and your fiancé’s names, the dress code (optional) and RSVP information. Trying to squeeze too much onto the invitation card can make it harder to read and it won’t look as elegant. Leave the extra details for the additional information card or even your wedding website if you’re planning on setting one up.
What trends do you see emerging in wedding stationery for 2021 and beyond?
As weddings look to remain a more intimate celebration for 2021, I’m seeing a trend for detail. From wax seals and vellum to foiling and embossing. As couples don’t have to send as many invitations currently, they are choosing to spend a little more on the ones they are sending. Delicate pastels and florals are always a favourite too but less is definitely more when it comes to the design, it’s all about the finishing touches.
How can couples get in touch with you and see more of your work?
Couples can get in touch through my website, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Here they will also see all of the stationery designs available and they can order samples. I’m also at the end of the phone. This is my favourite as I love a chat. I’m offering video calls at the moment too, but please give me a bit of notice as I might need to pop a bit of makeup on!
Is there a special discount that you would like to offer to our readers?
I would love to offer readers a 10% discount off their first order when they quote LOVE10BRIDE. This can be redeemed when placing an order directly via email to me on firstname.lastname@example.org