IF YOU’RE ANYTHING LIKE US, YOU’LL CRY WATCHING OTHER PEOPLE’S WEDDING VIDEOS, LET ALONE YOUR OWN. That’s because an expert videographer’s footage of a big day is truly emotive, capturing raw, real-time feelings of love, joy and happiness, plus all the magical action as it unfolds.
Shooting documentary style, this pro is discrete in his approach, filming from afar to capture that real emotion with strictly no cheesiness in sight!
Here, we find out what Anth loves most about his job – prepare for talks of tears (happy ones, of course) and sunsets, this guy LOVES a sunset! Plus, we discover more about his approach and get Anth’s top tips when it comes to hiring a videographer.
Oh, and tissues at the ready, as we showcase some fabulous Jolly Good Wedding Films!
Hi, I’m Anth, and I’m Jolly Good Wedding Films. I love a wedding, and getting to film and edit them for so many awesome couples is my dream career.
WHERE DID YOUR PASSION FOR FILM COME FROM?
I was always into filming silly videos with mates, documentaries and music videos as a young college kid, but this developed into a university degree in TV production which then led to me starting my own business – Jolly Good Wedding Films. This has taken me all over the world, and the UK and I could not imagine a better job! I absolutely love films and have a ton of film memorabilia to keep me company in my office. You’re never lonely editing a wedding film with a life-size Chewbacca to look at.
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT CAPTURING A COUPLE’S BIG DAY?
The love and joy! For me, it’s all about being able to capture the raw emotion of the day and present this back to my couples so that they have a long-lasting memory that they can watch forever. I must say I do get a buzz when I give my couples their films as this means my job has been done well, and the couples are often brought to tears when watching their big day back. It’s all about the tears!
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR STYLE?
I shoot naturally, capturing the day as it unfolds with minimal posing and no cheese! Gone are the days of the big camera on some old bloke’s shoulder, with a huge furry mic and light that can be seen from the moon. I’m all about being discreet, filming from afar where possible and letting the emotions be captured naturally, without interference.
WHAT’S YOUR APPROACH LIKE ON THE WEDDING DAY?
I like to get there a little earlier than arranged to have a walk about and take in the awesome venues, which I’m privileged to film at. I’ll then be yours all day, from bridal prep to the dancing and chaos! I’ll always work with the photographer to get the best from the day, and they often end up becoming a new mate! Fun, unobtrusive and natural is my ethos.
HOW DO YOU BUILD RELATIONSHIPS WITH YOUR COUPLES?
I interact with my couples through email, meetings, calls and even pre-wedding shoots. This is all to make sure the couple feel as at ease as possible and trust that I’m not going to intrude on their big day. I often see my couples at other weddings as the bulk of my business comes from referrals as (touch wood) I’ve not disappointed yet. I’ve even been invited to stay for the night do a number of times!
WHAT SETS YOU APART FROM OTHER VIDEOGRAPHERS?
I think there are a lot of talented videographers, and I would never claim to be the ‘best’. There is no ‘best’ in my honest opinion. My style is very natural and keeps my couples at ease. I will work with them to capture their vision and allow my couples to have as much or as little input into the creative process as they wish, something I know not everyone does due to their creative process. I know by my couples’ feedback and reviews that I produce good wedding films, and there’s no better feeling than being told that or seeing a couple brought to tears of joy due to their wedding film. It’s something that makes me immensely proud.
DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE PART OF THE DAY?
Anything with a sunset! I love a sunset. Everything gets bathed in this warm glow, which just looks so incredibly beautiful when captured in photos and on film. Did I mention I love a sunset?!
WHERE DOES YOUR WORK TAKE YOU?
I have filmed all around the UK and Europe, and I’m currently booked for a number of destination weddings, including Greece, Spain and Mexico – Covid permitting, obviously.
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR TOP TIPS FOR COUPLES SEARCHING FOR A VIDEOGRAPHER?
- Book early – Good suppliers will be booked well in advance. I’m fully booked for this and next year so get in there early. Also, by getting in early you will often save money as when prices increase, yours will be locked in.
- Speak with the person to make sure your personalities match, and they are right for you. Not every supplier will be the right fit for you, so it’s important to speak or meet with them to make sure this person, who will be spending the day with you and your closest family and friends, will be a good fit.
- Let the supplier do what you have paid them to do. Trust in their expertise and knowledge. When you book a supplier, you usually book them based on their style and that you prefer them to others, so let them do what they do best. I am more than happy to allow my couples a huge input on the creative process both on the day and in the edit but in my honest opinion, its best to leave the majority, if not all, to the supplier to do their thing and just sit back and enjoy your day.
AND YOUR NO-NOS?
- Ignore a supplier – if you have enquired, then a supplier will have taken the time to reply. Good suppliers are usually busy 365 days a year, and it is a great courtesy to reply back, even if you have decided to go elsewhere.
- Haggle on price – I totally understand that everyone wants value for money, and a discount is always nice. I set my prices at a specific point to cover the time to prepare, learn, film, edit, upload, download, finish projects, export the files, email, correspond to email, take care of insurances, speak to venues, scouting plus all the other stuff like keeping up to date with the latest and best practices and equipment etc. I would never be offended by anyone asking for a discount, but as I say, I believe I have priced myself fairly in this market in order to offer my couples the best value and quality.
- Stress – Just go with the flow. Your wedding day should be one of the best days of your lives, so if a few minor issues occur, let your bride and groom party sort them out but ultimately stressing or getting upset won’t usually help and will only spoil your day. The day is all about you, so let someone else take care of it for you and just remember – you’re the rock stars for the day, so just enjoy yourselves!
WHAT OPTIONS DO YOU OFFER WHEN COUPLES ARE BOOKING YOU?
I offer two packages. Firstly, the ceremony and speeches captured in full or a complete package which gives you a full day’s filming from bridal prep to first dance, with the ceremony and speeches separately, a trailer and all on a custom USB and online link.
HOW CAN COUPLES GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU?