Talented photographer Liz is our featured supplier for today and we’re thrilled to be showcasing her skills for your viewing pleasure, as she tells us all about her business.
If you’re based in Yorkshire or the North West and are looking for a safe pair of hands to shoot your wedding day, we might be about to introduce you to your perfect match. From borrowing her mum’s camera on family trips to running her own business, Liz Baker has been a wedding photographer for 24 years!
She knows all there is to know about capturing special moments with family and friends, and is more than happy to help out anywhere and everywhere she can – as long as she gets to capture you and your guests throwing some funky shapes on the dancefloor at the end of the day!
She’s also kindly offering an incredible 10% discount to you, our wonderful couples getting married in 2022 or 2023! So what are you waiting for?!
Hi, I’m Liz and I’m a wedding photographer based in West Yorkshire. I’ve been working in photography since 1997! Crikey, that makes me feel old!
Where did your passion for photography come from?
I’ve always had an interest in photography and used to borrow my mum’s camera when we were on family holidays. Our house was full of photo albums!
What do you love about capturing a couple’s big day?
I love capturing all the brief moments that the couple may have missed, the fun and the emotional rollercoaster that is their wedding day.
How would you describe your style of photography?
My style is very laid back, you will hardly know I’m there! I don’t drag the couple away from the party to get cringeworthy photos that they don’t even like. I do groups and couple photos, but they are very relaxed. We have a laugh, and they don’t take all day so you’re free to mingle and I’m free to get the candid shots of the fun of the day.
What’s your approach like on the wedding day?
I want to show the day as it was, without me coming to it with a preconceived idea. I fit in with you. If you want to bring your pet, prized tractor or boat, or involve smoke bombs and go and visit your grandma in her home, we will do it!
How do you build relationships with your couples?
My couples are like-minded people who want to remember their day, and they don’t want to spend it posing, they want to spend it having the best time with their guests. By the wedding day we will have spoken many times and are comfortable with each other so that, on the day, I feel like a friend with a camera rather than someone who is demanding things from them.
What sets you apart from other photographers?
I know we’ve all been to weddings where the photographer has a set idea of what they want, and they take the bride and groom away for hours, right when everyone wants to speak to them. That doesn’t happen with me. We go out for 10-15 minutes in the day time and maybe another 10 minutes for evening photos. I won’t ask them to do anything that feels unnatural to them. We just have a walk and a laugh.
Do you have a favourite part of the day?
I love all parts of the day, but I think my favourite part is the dance floor. Everyone has forgotten about my presence by then, and they’ve maybe had a prosecco or two, so it’s party time! I don’t dash off straight after the first dance because there is usually someone who has been waiting all day to strut their stuff, and I’ll be there to get in amongst it on the dance floor!
Where does your work take you?
Most of my weddings are in Yorkshire and the North West, but I love to venture further afield if there’s an epic venue and awesome couple!
What would be your top tips for couples searching for a wedding photographer?
- You need someone who is going to fit in with your plans. Don’t feel like you have to do certain things because ‘that’s the way it’s done’. It’s your day, and you only do it once, so it should be how you want it!
- Make sure you’ve seen full wedding galleries, not just styled shoots. A wedding day keeps on rolling, and if you’re not in the right place at the right time, because you’re not used to the way they work, you could miss vital or amusing moments!
- You need to get on with your photographer! If you’re not on the same page, it’s going to be stressful. I’ve safety-pinned countless dresses, given bridesmaids lifts to change their shoes, picked up guests when the bus broke down, brought water on hot days, and given my coat on cold days. I don’t want you to have any stress on your big day whatsoever!
And the no-nos?
- On the wedding morning try to relax. If any small details aren’t right, just forget about it, don’t let it ruin your day.
- Be yourself and don’t be dictated to about how things should look or timings for the day.
- People will fit in with what you want. That’s their job.
What options do you offer when couples are booking you?
I offer albums, engagement shoots, highlight videos, and the option of longer or shorter days if you need them.
Is there anything else that you would like to tell us about?
I cannot wait to get back to celebrating with my amazing couples after this dreadful pandemic. Couples will want to get together and have the best day possible with the people they are closest to. It’s going to be epic!
Is there a special discount that you would like to offer to our readers?
I would love to offer your readers a discount of 10% for dates in 2022 and 2023. Email me for a brochure and mention Brides Up North.